MoonPay is a Series A, financial technology company that builds web3 infrastructure to accelerate corporate and consumer adoption of crypto and NFTs. Our on-and-off-ramp suite of products provides a seamless experience for converting between fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies using all major payment methods. MoonPay is also providing the technical infrastructure and ideation and strategy for companies to move into web3. MoonPay is active in more than 160 countries and is trusted by 300+ leading wallets, websites, and applications to accept payments and power their web3 strategies.
MoonPay is looking for a Senior Counsel, Regulatory to assist with company’s global regulatory programs, including building programs to implement and monitor requirements under global regulatory frameworks and engaging with regulators and internal stakeholders to align expectations and evidence compliance. Reporting directly to the DGC, Product & Regulatory, this person will be an integral part of the company’s legal team working to ensure the business is fully informed of (i) relevant regulatory and policy developments and (ii) the practical impact of new law and regulation in this developing space.
- Advise on a wide range of legal and regulatory issues relating to new products in the web3 space, in the United States and internationally.
- Manage regulatory inquiries, examinations, and investigations.
- Proactively monitor and assess the impact of regulatory developments in order to devise product changes to future-proof core products and support the development of emerging products.
- Monitor, report and influence on a wide spectrum of issues, including consumer protection; data security, protection and privacy; anti-money laundering and licensing.
- Partner with the business on new product development and service enhancements.
- Assist and advise on the company’s global licensing strategy and work closely with Compliance to manage our growing license portfolio.
- Assist and advise on substantive legal matters that relate to employment, litigation, class action and investigations.
- 5+ years of legal experience in regulation in the financial services industry and/or private practice, or as a regulator.
- Excitement about having a seat at the table in the development of the legal jurisprudence around web3.
- Excellent communications skills are critical. Provide crisp and practical legal advice and synthesize complex regulatory constructs succinctly and effectively, especially in circumstances where application of the law to the underlying technology and related products is unclear.
- Excellent business judgment, analytic rigor, and legal pragmatism.
- Ability to identify issues and suggest enhancements to form agreements, policies, procedures, and processes that will scale as the company grows.
- Ability to navigate through legal ambiguity with high degree of focus.
- J.D. or LLM and active membership with a state bar and eligible to practice in any U.S. state.
- Strong preference for crypto experience or technology start-up experience.
- Experience in cryptocurrency-related litigation, government investigations, or regulatory advice is preferred
- Knowledge and experience with SEC, CFTC, money transmission licenses, and e-money licenses or other financial regulatory agencies and licenses are a plus.
- MoonPay's estimated annual base salary for this position is $215,000 to $250,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands.
MoonPay has exclusively engaged Kerwin to conduct this search. Any resumes sent directly to MoonPay will be forwarded to Kerwin. If you are interested in speaking about or applying for this role, please contact Maddie Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Danielle Ryan (email@example.com) at Kerwin Associates.