Our client, a synthetic biology and genomics company based in South San Francisco, is looking for a Commercial Counsel, Senior to support the company on a variety of contracting, licensing, product-related and marketing matters. This role will provide such legal support to the company’s growing Commercial, Biopharma, and/or Data Storage divisions. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic legal team.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial, pharma, and data storage agreements and other legal documents, including inbound and outbound supply and services agreements, OEM and distribution agreements, end user license agreements, in- and out-licensing agreements, collaboration agreements, strategic partnership agreements, pre-clinical agreements, government price and subcontractor agreements, material transfer agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Develop standard terms and template language for commercial, pharma and data storage agreements.
- Draft and maintain applicable playbooks.
- Review marketing material relevant to the company’s Commercial, Biopharma and Data Storage divisions.
- Manage processes and workflows governing the intake, review, and approval of commercial, pharma, and data storage agreements and marketing requests.
- Advise business and cross functional stakeholders on best practices and legal updates affecting contracting.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- J.D. Required. Registered to practice in California or be eligible for Registered In-House Counsel (RIHC) status in California.
- 6-8 years of relevant experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department at a biotech or pharma company, with an emphasis on contracting and commercial experience in the life sciences.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and managing a high volume of commercial, pharma and data storage agreements, and fostering strategic partnerships.
- Familiarity with synthetic biology and sequencing products and processes, drug development landscape, antibody therapies, personalized medicine, and data storage/security.
- Ability to manage outside counsel and assess when consultation with outside counsel is appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to maintain an effective working relationship with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tight deadlines in a fast-paced business environment.
- Excellent judgment in assessing risks and benefits.
- Creative problem solver.
- Experience building for scale.
- Experience with domestic (U.S.) and international contracts.
- Strong background in the life sciences, with a B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in molecular biology, chemistry, pharmacology or related fields preferred.
- At least 2 years (out of the 6-8 years of total experience) spent at a major law firm.