Our client is an exciting, privately-held (Series A) company with a leading privacy and data protection solutions platform. They are searching for their first Product and Commercial attorney to report to the Chief Executive Officer. As the 1st attorney on this small, dynamic team, you will be tasked to develop the commercial and privacy function and scale a team to support the company’s growing business. In this critical and strategic role, this candidate will have the opportunity to make a large impact on the company’s bottom line.
Interface directly with customers to not only negotiate agreements but understand their needs to focus on building products and features to help change the landscape of data protection and privacy technology. If you’re obsessed with design and creation, and want to use your legal knowledge to reshape an industry, this role may be for you. This is a non-traditional legal role to advise not only on the privacy and compliance implications of technology development, but actually help to engineer the product, create technology around legal requirements, and leverage your creativity within a mission-driven, venture backed early-stage company.
- Lead all commercial and privacy product matters for the company.
- Provide strategic commercial and legal advice to the company’s product, sales, marketing, and engineering teams on a variety of legal and compliance issues throughout the product development Lifecyle
- Create, review, and provide counsel on product and technical specifications, data flows, UI/UX design, and wireframes with focus on data protection and privacy compliance
- Ensure compliance with the various US and international laws and regulations that impact the business, particularly in the areas of intellectual property, privacy, consumer protection and advertising
- Build and develop legal processes and documentation to support new product or business initiatives, including product documentation, terms of service, privacy notices, disclaimers and other disclosures
- Monitor and advise on regulatory and industry developments, including trends in enforcement actions, privacy and security law, and intellectual property
- Partner with cross-functional teams to help design and bring new products and features to market.
- JD and good standing with at least one state bar
- 4+ years of experience practicing in-house or at a reputable law firm with a focus on building and operationalizing data protection programs
- Experience with providing product counseling to technology companies
- Commercial experience with technology transactions and negotiation with customers a plus
- Have substantial knowledge of and experience advising on privacy and data protection issues; including those arising under the GDPR, CCPA, and LGPD, and are familiar with the workflows involved in privacy compliance (including data mapping, data protection impact assessments, records of processing activity, etc.)
- Have a passion for learning about new technology and products, and an ability to understand complex business issues and product use cases quickly
- Have strong communication and project management skills, and the ability to manage competing priorities under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable learning about new areas of technology and law, and can provide the practical legal advice and guidance our teams need in order to build the best, most compliant products possible.
- Have the highest level of ethics and personal integrity, and a sense of humor
- Adapt quickly to startup needs and life, and want to “roll up your sleeves” and contribute to any areas of need across the business
- Be creative, ethical, and proactive, and excited about helping the company grow into a privacy technology market leader.