Our client, New Island Capital Management, is in search of a talented attorney to support their investment, compliance and general investment advisor operations targeting institutional quality investments that result in positive social and environmental outcomes. The successful candidate will report to the General Counsel and support portfolio investment transactions by performing legal due diligence, negotiating transaction terms, and collaborating with outside counsel.
- Collaborate with external counsel, investment professionals, and members of the investment operations teams to manage complex investment transactions and to resolve specialized issues pertaining to New Island’s investment strategy.
- Assist with legal due diligence in support of investment transactions.
- Assist with the negotiation and drafting of legal documentation for complex investment transactions across a wide range of asset classes.
- Draft and negotiate operational contracts, inbound and outbound, on behalf of New Island Capital Management
- Monitor and advise on legal compliance and risk with respect to the investment portfolio to support existing investment relationships.
- Monitor and advise on legal compliance in all operations, including but not limited to with respect to confidentiality obligations, responding to “know-your-customer” and other information requests under the Bank Secrecy Act, and matters arising under the Investment Advisers Act.
- Work with the legal team to maintain and improve transaction management processes and procedures and ensure a positive experience with the legal process for investment professionals and investment operations teams.
- Execute on both routine and complex tasks and projects, and appropriately balance operational priorities and risk.
- Provide strategic and practical advice with the goal of maintaining a nimble and responsive approach while balancing the needs of an entrepreneurial organization.
- JD required, with strong academic credentials.
- License to practice law in good standing in the State of California.
- 5-10 year transactional experience, with some large law firm experience preferred.
- Experience in-house, within an investment transaction support experience highly desirable.
- Experience with complex corporate transactions: public and private securities transactions, secured and unsecured lending, mezzanine finance, private equity, fund formation and investment, joint ventures, real property, and cross-border transactions.
- Strong legal drafting and writing skills, with attention to detail and superb organization.
- Comfort speaking and writing about legal concepts and issues with sufficient simplicity and pragmatism to communicate clearly with non-legal audiences across all levels of the organization.
- Sincere passion for using private investment as a means for bringing about beneficial environmental and social impact.
- Able to work directly with investment professionals as a strategic advisor.
- Strong working knowledge of principles of finance and investment.
- Able to effectively work with, and manage, outside counsel when appropriate.
- Potential to be creative, resourceful, and disciplined in supporting a complex strategy.
- Able to organize, manage, and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with critical deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment without the administrative support and infrastructure generally available in larger organizations.
- Active intellectual engagement and voice, demonstrated leadership capabilities, and project management experience.
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and a sense of humor.
- Able to be focused upon, and relentless in, securing the best outcomes for the organization.
- Maintains the highest standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity.
- Location: The Legal Counsel will need to work in client’s San Francisco office once shelter-in-place restrictions have been lifted and should be located in the San Francisco Bay Area while SIP remains in effect. Remote work is not an option for this position.
New Island Capital Management has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Legal Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to New Island Capital Management will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking about or applying for this role, please contact Anne Kerwin Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jamie Walsh (email@example.com) or Maddie Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org).