Our client is seeking an experienced product attorney with expertise in privacy, data protection, and technology transactions to lead the product legal function. In this position, you will have a broad range of responsibilities and will have the opportunity to be deeply involved in product development and launch cycles. You will collaborate with engineering, product management, design, security, customer service, human resources, and others to support our client’s business activities. Reporting directly to the VP, Legal, you will become an integral member of the legal team, interacting with all levels of management and leading the product legal function.
- Advise technical and product teams throughout the entire product life-cycle on matters relating to the legal and regulatory aspects of software product development, including privacy and security, intellectual property protection, and open source issues.
- Serve as subject matter expert on relevant privacy laws such as GDPR, Privacy Shield, COPPA, CCPA, and the FTC best practices, and manage compliance.
- Work with the marketing and business development teams on strategy and product integrations
- Work with customer service and other relevant teams to manage product and support issues.
- Create and provide training to legal team colleagues and internal clients
- Significant product and privacy counseling experience, preferably in a SAAS or consumer software environment.
- Deep understanding of complex global data privacy laws and principles, including the GDPR, Privacy Shield, and CCPA.
- History of building excellent teams, managing, and developing others.
- Demonstrated experience providing practical, actionable advice that balances legal risk and business impact in a dynamic environment.
- An attorney licensed to practice in California (or admission to at least one state bar with eligibility for California in-house registration) with a mix of in-house and law firm experience
- Excellent written, verbal and social communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and sense of professionalism and discretion, demonstrating accountability, integrity, and respect for confidentiality.
- Solid customer service focus and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with diverse teams across the organization.
- Self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to identify issues, resolve problems and drive projects to completion.
- Trustworthy, positive, energetic, optimistic attitude with a willingness to roll up your sleeves.
- A creative problem solver who is eager to learn about new ideas and concepts.