Human Capital is a venture firm for engineers. They believe great companies are built by great engineers, and they invest in founders and companies that share the same belief. In the last five years, that mantra has led them to invest in ten unicorns, well before they became unicorns. Human Capital has over $500M AUM and has built a network of over 5,000 incredible, driven, ambitious engineers. Now they’re looking for a General Counsel to help build their next chapter.
Part of Human Capital’s mission relies on its unique talent business: they connect engineers with jobs that prepare them to be founders. From positions at early-stage startups where they can learn from engineer-founders, experience scale and high-growth, and tangibly shape a product in its nascent stages to ones that offer deep, industry-specific experience relevant to their field of interest.
The General Counsel will serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Team, playing a critical role in building a world-class venture firm. The role requires impeccable legal and business judgement, extensive experience growing and leading in-house legal teams, and exemplary interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence. You’re proactive and entrepreneurial. You’re passionate about the law, technology, investments, and you love a challenging, team-focused, intellectually-driven, fast-moving environment.
- Manage all aspects of legal function and provide creative and practical counsel on a wide range of legal, business, and corporate matters for both the talent business and the investment firm.
- Provide leadership, management, and operational expertise with the objective of building and running best in class legal support for the Legal Team.
- Develop and implement systems, policies, and procedures to support the recruitment agency, investment operations function, and corporate governance. Build, execute, and be responsible for legal support, from an architecture, building, and execution perspective.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of legal advice to company executives including the CEO, Executive leadership, and other stakeholders.
- Review and negotiate agreements, and other documents relating to domestic and foreign private investment funds, separately managed accounts, and co-investment vehicles.
- Review and negotiate a variety of agreements, such as vendor agreements, NDAs, advisory, and/or consulting agreements.
- Responsible for substantive legal issues, including corporate, securities, M&A, commercial, privacy, product, intellectual property, compliance, litigation and employment.
- Advise on investment policies, guidelines and compliance measures.
- Support operational due diligence.
- Ensure the proper balance of internal and external legal resources and their effective allocation.
- Reinforce culture of compliance with all relevant rules and regulations, including formulation of and compliance with internal policies, rules and procedures.
- Work with stakeholders on data privacy and security, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property matters.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state, preferably California.
- 10+ years of relevant law firm and in-house experience. Industry experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in San Francisco office post-Covid.
- Previous exposure to fund/asset management, especially venture capital.
- Expertise in corporate governance.
- Demonstrated success as a leader as a General Counsel or similar level of responsibility as a Deputy or Assistant General Counsel.
- Demonstrated ability in successfully taking initiative on projects with a high degree of responsibility and complexity.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to, among other things, keep relevant stakeholders informed, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Exceptional judgement and demonstrated ability to balance competing priorities while efficiently executing multiple projects and maintaining the highest levels of professional ethics.
- Comfort speaking and writing about complex matters with sufficient simplicity and pragmatism to communicate clearly with both legal and non-legal partners across all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility to adjust to rapidly changing environments.
- Ability to drive a strategic vision for the organization while “rolling up your sleeves” to ensure effective operations, and identifying best practices.
- Eagerness to learn new things, comfortable in handling chaos, and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
Human Capital has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a General Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Human Capital will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking further about or applying for this role, please contact Anne Kerwin Payne (email@example.com) or Jamie Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Kerwin Associates.