Astra’s mission is to launch a new generation of services to connect and improve life on earth. The Team at Astra is small and highly ambitious with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge.
They strive to deliver routine access to earth orbit for enterprises launching services powered by small satellites. Building on over a decade of technology development in rocket propulsion, structures, and avionics, Astra is applying an agile approach to space launch.
Astra’s headquarters in Alameda, between San Francisco and Oakland, is a sprawling campus supporting full cycle rocket production (e.g. design, manufacturing, test) and mission control.
The General Counsel will serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Team and the Board, playing a critical role in making a big impact on Astra’s business. This role requires impeccable legal and business judgement, extensive experience growing and leading in-house legal teams, and exemplary interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence. If you’re passionate about the law, technology, business and love a challenging, team-focused, intellectually-driven, fast-moving environment, then this is the place for you.
- Manage all aspects of legal function and provide creative and practical counsel on a wide range of legal, business and corporate matters.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of legal advice to company executives including the CEO, Board, Executive leadership and internal business clients.
- Responsible for substantive legal issues, including corporate, securities, M&A, commercial, privacy, product, intellectual property, compliance, litigation and employment.
- Draft, negotiate and drive complex, sophisticated commercial transactions with the company’s customers and strategicpartners.
- Ensure the proper balance of internal and external legal resources and their effective allocation.
- Oversee and ensure appropriate legal, contractual and intellectual property support for product development and sales and marketing activities.
- Collaborate with the product, sales and services teams to achieve key business objectives.
- Reinforce culture of compliance with all relevant rules and regulations, including formulation of and compliance with internal policies, rules and procedures.
- Work with stakeholders on data privacy and security, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property matters.
- JD with at least 15 years of experience in the applicable areas of law, including significant time in an in-house legal department.
- Current, active law license in at least one state (CA is preferred)
- Previous experience at high-growth aviation, aerospace, automotive, technology or startup company in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated success as a leader as a General Counsel or similar level of responsibility as a Deputy or Assistant General Counsel.
- Experience in scaling, leading and mentoring team(s) of lawyers, compliance professionals, paraprofessionals, and staff at global technology or automotive companies.
- Possess a fluid understanding across multiple areas of domestic and international law, including but not limited to: corporate, securities, M&A, commercial, privacy, product, intellectual property, compliance, litigation and employment.
- Previous experience working with and advising Boards and investors, particularly related to corporate strategic deals and transactions.
- Ability to drive a strategic vision for the organization while “rolling up your sleeves” to ensure effective operations, and identifying best practices.
- Eagerness to learn new things, comfortable in handling chaos, and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Sound judgment, maintains the highest levels of professional ethics, and great communication skills
- Willing to work in a fast-paced environment and comfortable with ambiguity
Astra has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a General Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Astra will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking further about or applying for this role, please contact Anne Kerwin Payne (email@example.com) or Jamie Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Kerwin Associates.