As a worldwide leader in next-generation cybersecurity, Sophos protects nearly 400,000 organizations of all sizes in more than 150 countries from today’s most advanced cyberthreats. Powered by SophosLabs – a global threat intelligence and data science team – Sophos’ cloud-native and AI-enhanced solutions secure endpoints (laptops, servers and mobile devices) and networks against evolving cybercriminal tactics and techniques, including automated and active-adversary breaches, ransomware, malware, exploits, data exfiltration, phishing, and more. The award-winning Sophos Central cloud-based platform integrates Sophos’ entire portfolio of best-of-breed products, from the Intercept X endpoint solution to the XG Firewall, into a single system called Synchronized Security. Sophos products are exclusively available through a global channel of more than 47,000 partners and Managed Service Providers (MSPs). Sophos also makes its innovative commercial technologies available to consumers via Sophos Home. The company is headquartered in Oxford, U.K., and is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol “SOPH.”
Sophos has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Senior Privacy Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Sophos will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking further about or applying for this role, please contact Anne Kerwin Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Krithi Byadgi (Krithi.email@example.com) at Kerwin Associates.
- Lead Sophos’ global privacy strategies and initiatives.
- Oversee and manage Sophos’ privacy policies and disclosures in accordance with Sophos’ compliance obligations and strategy.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to advise on privacy issues and help achieve business goals while appropriately managing privacy risks, and to implement best practices for management and protection of company data.
- Work with product management and engineering teams to provide privacy counseling and review for new products and product features.
- Work with global commercial legal team on negotiation of privacy and data protection terms with customers and suppliers, by providing training, templates, playbooks, and escalation support in negotiations.
- Partner with Compliance Team on data protection regimen and advise on security incident investigations, data subject access requests, Data Protection Impact Assessments, and responses to regulators, as needed.
- Serve as a resource to all members of the legal team in addressing privacy issues as they impact or apply to their areas of responsibility.
- Develop and deliver training on privacy topics.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, playbooks and legal processes
- Strong academic credentials including a J.D. degree from a top law school and membership in one state bar.
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience, including in-house experience with a high-tech company.
- Deep experience with privacy and data protection laws and managing a multinational organization’s compliance with such laws.
- Proven ability to translate technical knowledge into pragmatic advice that appropriately balances legal risks with commercial needs.
- Experience providing privacy counseling to product and engineering teams on privacy considerations for product development and new product/product feature launch.
- Experience drafting and negotiating privacy, security, and confidentiality terms in commercial agreements (including data processing agreements).
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to successfully interact with senior management.
- Self-starter with ability to execute tasks efficiently with sound business judgment and attention to detail.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and negotiation skills.