MoonPay is a Series A, financial technology company that builds web3 infrastructure to accelerate corporate and consumer adoption of crypto and NFTs. Our on-and-off-ramp suite of products provides a seamless experience for converting between fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies using all major payment methods. MoonPay is also providing the technical infrastructure and ideation and strategy for companies to move into web3. MoonPay is active in more than 160 countries and is trusted by 300+ leading wallets, websites, and applications to accept payments and power their web3 strategies.
MoonPay is looking for a Deputy General Counsel, Regulatory and Litigation to spearhead regulatory and litigation issues for the company. Reporting directly to the Chief Legal and Administrative Officer, this person will be an integral part of company leadership and be responsible for (i) working to ensure the business is fully informed of relevant regulatory and policy developments, and (ii) the practical impact of new law and regulation in this developing space. This person will be integral to helping build and manage the Legal Team, as well as for guiding the company through many novel and complex legal and business issues that confront the company.
- Work as a member of the legal team to assist the leadership team in analyzing and navigating the constantly evolving financial regulatory landscape relevant to new products the company wishes to offer in the United States and internationally.
- Lead, manage and execute the company’s global licensing strategy and work closely with Compliance to manage our growing license portfolio.
- Advise on a wide range of legal and regulatory issues relating to new products in the web3 space, in the United States and internationally.
- Manage and drive the strategic management of a diverse and wide range of regulatory inquiries, litigation and pre-litigation matters.
- Partnering with business on new product development and service enhancements
- Assist with regulatory inquiries, examinations, and investigations and devise product changes to future-proof products.
- Assessing impact of regulatory developments and contributing to implementation of regulatory change.
- Development and oversight of processes and procedures to help support a litigation portfolio.
- Responsible for all substantive legal matters that relate to employment, litigation, class action and investigations.
- 8+ years of legal experience in regulation in the financial services industry and/or private practice, or as a regulator.
- Strong preference for tech start-up experience and in-house experience.
- J.D. or LLM and active membership with a state bar and eligible to practice in any U.S. state.
- Experience in cryptocurrency-related litigation, government investigations, or regulatory advice is preferred – but it is essential that this candidate is excited about having a seat at the table of history on developing legal jurisprudence around web3.
- Knowledge and experience with SEC, CFTC, money transmission licenses, and e-money licenses or other financial regulatory agencies and licenses are a plus.
- Excellent communications skills are critical. Provide crisp and practical legal advice and synthesize complex regulatory constructs succinctly and effectively, especially in circumstances where application of the law to the underlying technology and related products is unclear.
- Strong interpersonal skills to foster teamwork, influence decision-making, and maintain effective working relationships with internal colleagues and external clients.
- Ability to identify issues and suggest enhancements to form agreements, policies, procedures, and processes and help scale as the company grows.
- A proven and accomplished manager, leader and team-builder.
- Ability to navigate through legal ambiguity with high degree of focus.
- MoonPay's estimated annual base salary for this position is $250,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands.
MoonPay has exclusively engaged Kerwin to conduct this search. Any resumes sent directly to MoonPay will be forwarded to Kerwin. If you are interested in speaking about or applying for this role, please contact Maddie Murray (email@example.com) and Danielle Ryan (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Kerwin Associates.