Our client, an innovative diagnostics company in Redwood City, is looking for a Contracts Counsel to report to the Vice President, Legal Affairs, and will be instrumental in advancing the company’s strategic initiatives in cancer detection.
This attorney will provide legal support in areas such as drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, managing the workflow of the contracting process, supporting business development and licensing. The ideal candidate will be looking to build on existing strengths, in one or more of these areas, to quickly develop a broad range of legal and business expertise to support a growing cancer diagnostics company.
- Collaborate with members of the biopharma, clinical research, medical affairs, and supply chain teams to negotiate and advance key business partnerships to further Company’s interests.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of agreements, including: laboratory service agreements, clinical trial agreements, sponsored research agreements; master service agreements; supply agreements; master research collaboration agreements; and other strategic agreements.
- Manage assignments and prioritize workload in line with the company’s objectives and departmental needs.
- Negotiate research agreements with academic investigators and institutions.
- Work collaboratively with internal clients by providing clear, practical and timely legal advice.
- Advise on the interpretation of legal documents in a manner that provides accurate guidance and practical advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization.
- Interact with external vendors and business partners.
- Work across all company departments to meet business objectives.
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school and member of a state bar (California preferred).
- 3-10 years’ transactions experience at a law firm or life science company.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating contracts, with an emphasis on understanding life sciences transactions and associated IP issues.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while remaining proactive, resourceful, flexible and efficient, and maintaining high quality and ethical standards.
- Excellent analytical and contract interpretation skills, and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, and the ability to analyze complex issues to develop practical solutions and best outcomes.
- Ability to work independently and apply good business and legal judgement in assessing contract terms.
- Personal integrity and ethics in business conduct.
- Sound business judgment and strategic thinking, with the ability to define business tradeoffs, generate creative solutions and anticipate the impact of decisions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to form quality working relationships with other employees and partners.
- Well-organized, responsive and hardworking, with the capacity to handle a variety of complex matters and ability to manage projects under deadline pressure.
- Willing to accept full ownership of work product and deliver the highest quality results.
- Flexibility working on a variety of legal matters to understand and advise across company functions, effectively present ideas and contribute to decision making.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and HITECH laws; healthcare fraud and abuse laws a plus.