About Level: Level makes benefits as simple as paying with cash, starting with insurance. To make this possible, we’re rebuilding every part of benefits ecosystem to create seamless experiences. Employers can offer bigger benefits for far less, members get more freedom and choice, and providers are paid instantly.
At its core, Level is a fintech company with a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Uber, and ZocDoc. We’re backed by Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Ventures, First Round, Homebrew, BoxGroup, and Precursor Ventures. Dental and vision is just the start. There's so much more to come in helping employers and their teams get more from their benefit dollars through fast, flexible spending.
This role is about doing the hard stuff. Level is tackling hard problems with great people, and is built on the understanding that great ideas come from diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. Level brings together all kinds of industries and people – insurance, payments, healthcare. These industries aren’t simple, but Level is taking on the challenge – from instant claims to growing a network, from a member app to employee insights. Strategic legal thinking is at its core.
- Establish a clear strategic road-map for multiple overlapping regulatory areas which documents how risk and compliance services will evolve and maintain a multi-domain view of compliance standards
- Create and streamline processes for privacy and security reviews, design learning models to support process changes, best practice sharing, and continual improvement
- Implement scalable compliance frameworks and standards to support a business in high growth mode
- Build out a compliance team to manage day-to-day operations across products and systems
- Understand and operate in a growing set of regulatory areas, including those related to HIPAA, ERISA, GLBA, GDPR, CCPA, PCI, and other insurance, payments, employee benefits, and financial regulation
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Level’s controls and programs
- Conduct periodic compliance risk assessments
- Recommend processes and tools to facilitate adherence to policies and standards
- Enhance compliance awareness and deliver training programs
- Liaise with external counsel on compliance matters
- Advise on corrective and preventative measures based on root cause analyses from investigations, such as risk-based business enhancements, mitigation strategies, and training
- Engage with regulators and auditors as required
- Wear multiple hats depending on the day by providing general legal advice and counsel to our growing team
- 8+ years of a compliance and/or legal work experience
- JD from a US law school and barred in the United States a plus
- Experience in compliance with an understanding of how to structure and scale an effective compliance program
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Excellent business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and to communicate those risks to business partners
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Level’s values and business interests
- Experience working with confidential and highly sensitive information
Level has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Compliance Lead. Any resumes sent directly to Level will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maddie Payne Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Krithi Byadgi (email@example.com).