About Astra: Astra’s mission is to launch a new generation of services to connect and improve life on earth. The Team at Astra is small and highly ambitious with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge. They strive to deliver routine access to earth orbit for enterprises launching services powered by small satellites.
Astra is looking for a seasoned Commercial Counsel to partner with the General Counsel in reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for Astra. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the Commercial Counsel will be the first commercial counsel on the growing legal team. The successful candidate must possess the ability to work efficiently and independently while thinking creatively and programmatically to proactively solve problems.
- Review and advise on legal, customer experience and regulatory requirements for new business initiatives, draft and negotiate commercial agreements, provide training to business teams on legal and regulatory matters.
- Provide legal review of innovative new marketing practices and materials, and streamline processes for supporting business clients to ensure we deliver a great customer experience.
- Provide accurate, timely, business-oriented legal advice to all levels of company management in connection with obtaining and performing contracts and subcontracts on U.S.
- Advise company management on international pursuits and contract performance, as well as commercial activities and a wide variety of other legal matters facing the company.
- Ability to apply a high level of discretion, common sense, and good judgment to ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and directly with all levels of legal and business partners
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through, and meet deadlines
- Experience successfully contributing to cross-functional teams
- Keen interest in solving customer problems in new ways
- JD or international equivalent and strong academic credentials
- 9+ years as a practicing attorney, with at least two of those years at a major multinational law firm
- 5+ years of directly transferable experience advising clients on U.S. Government contract matters; have in-depth knowledge of the FAR/DFARS as well as those requirements unique to contracting with the Government
- Experienced in proposal development, negotiations, contract performance and dispute resolution in connection with Government, international and commercial programs
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance matters, including ITAR, EAR, FCPA, and trade compliance
- Solid experience managing and negotiating large and varied commercial transactions
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate with all levels of management and Government agency personnel, including DCAA and DCMA
- Must be experienced in international business development
- Must be a member of the bar in at least one state or the District of Columbia (CA preferred) and must be capable of obtaining and maintaining a DoD Secret level security clearance.
- Knowledge in international intellectual property protection would be an added plus.
- Strong written and oral communications skills and an ability to clearly and simply summarize complex ideas
- Great sense of humor and fun and a willingness to grow and improve over time
- Experience supporting business teams as they grow and scale
- Strong analytical skills
Astra has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Commercial Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Astra will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maddie Payne Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Krithi Byadgi (email@example.com).