Our client, a biotechnology company located in the East Bay, is seeking an entrepreneurial and driven transactional attorney to play a primary role in the company’s commercial efforts. Reporting to the Director, Commercial, this attorney will support the company’s commercial and business development teams. This individual must thrive in a high-volume, fast-paced, high-performing and collaborative environment. This position is not eligible for relocation.
This role is Remote now; Company is located in East Bay, CA. Prefer in office when safe to do so or there is a possibility to work a few days from home for the right candidate.
- Prepare, negotiate and administer standard company contracts, including supply and services agreements, commercial and scientific collaboration agreements, material transfer agreements, and license agreements.
- Help manage contract workflow process.
- Advise internal commercial and business development team regarding complex business and contract issues such as contract interpretation, dispute resolution, IP ownership and other legal risks.
- Negotiate with sophisticated counter-parties, such as universities, research institutions, pharma, and biotechnology companies.
- Assist with the development and implementation of company-wide policies and procedures.
- Provide high level of customer satisfaction both internally and externally.
- Work closely with the existing corporate legal team to support other projects as needed.
- JD degree and admitted to practice (preferably in California).
- BA or BS in life sciences or related field. Master’s or PhD a plus but not required!
- 3-12 years in a law firm and/or in-house advising on, drafting and negotiating agreements, including significant experience with transactions in the biotechnology industry.
- Solid understanding of contracting in life science companies, including R&D and commercial contracts.
- Experience with software licenses and service agreements a plus.
- Ability to work across all business units and provide legal counsel and advice.
- Strong business acumen and excellent judgment.
- Provide rapid and pragmatic solutions in urgent and demanding situations.
- Able to think creatively, work independently, find solutions and think strategically.
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to educate and support colleagues and clients.
- Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others.
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy.