Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly. Started by PayPal co-founder Max Levchin, Affirm gives consumers the flexibility to buy now and make simple monthly payments. Unlike other credit options, Affirm offers transparent payment terms (no fees or compounding interest) and employs advanced technology to reach a broader consumer population.
Affirm, Inc. is currently recruiting a Chief Compliance Officer (“CCO”). The CCO is primarily responsible for overseeing regulatory compliance within Affirm with applicable laws, regulatory requirements, policies and procedures. As such, the CCO is responsible for establishing standards and implementing procedures to ensure that the compliance program and system throughout the organization is effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting and correcting noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations. The CCO has to provide reasonable assurance to senior management and the Board that there are effective and efficient policies, procedures, and controls, well understood and respected by all, to effectively mitigate compliance risk to an acceptable level. Based in San Francisco, the role will report into the Chief Financial Officer and will serve as a member of the Company’s executive management team.
- Supporting the business through advisory, monitoring, and due diligence in its growth and strategic initiatives and day to day activities.
- Maintaining and approving compliance and compliance-related policies, procedures, and processes.
- Ensuring that the Compliance function at Affirm has adequate expertise and resources to perform its duties.
- Continuously improve the compliance management system and program.
- Establishing acceptable methodologies for compliance monitoring and testing.
- Providing periodic reporting to the risk committees and executive management on, among other things, Affirm’s state of compliance and any significant emerging issues.
- Promptly alerting executive management, risk committees, and other relevant personnel of material issues of non-compliance.
- Developing an annual compliance risk assessment, compliance plan, and training plan.
- Ensuring communication of the requirements of new or modified compliance laws, regulations, and regulatory guidance to the business, and leads efforts to ensure implementation.
- Advising on and ensuring an effective customer complaint handling process for regulatory complaints and analytics of customer and consumer complaints.
- Overseeing day to day activities and the development of the Compliance team.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in Compliance, Risk or Internal Audit.
- Experience building, growing and managing a compliance management system and compliance team at a company that is scaling.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of consumer protection laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of anti-money laundering laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulatory risks, processes, and controls.
- Strong knowledge of control frameworks and the ability to design and evaluate the effectiveness of controls embedded within business processes.
- Strong project management, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to senior management in a clear and persuasive manner.
- CRCM, CAMS a plus, but not required.
Affirm has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Senior Privacy Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Affirm will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking further about or applying for this role, please contact Maddie Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Kerwin Associates.