The Role: Our client is seeking an Associate General Counsel & Senior Director, Employment to contribute across the full range of employment. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary you will be a key member of the legal group and will partner with executives, engineers, and outside counsel. This person will be the sole employment counsel for the near-2000-person company.
- Be a trusted advisor to the company and provide critical legal and strategic advice on a wide range of complex issues involving the company’s employees and workers.
- Ensure compliance with all of the various wage and hour and other laws in the states the company operates.
- Handle a wide variety of employment matters, including hiring, hourly worker management, performance management, employee relations, leaves of absence and accommodations, discrimination and harassment laws, wage and hour, internal investigations, immigration/visas, compensation/benefits, discipline and termination issues.
- Provide employment law strategies and guidance to address business challenges and create organizational alignment.
- Draft, maintain, and review U.S. and international templates and policies for employment matters (including employment agreements, contractor agreements, separation agreements and employee handbooks).
- Strategically resolve employment-related litigation, claims, investigations, subpoenas, etc.
- Oversee Workers' Compensation and any other employee claims.
- Supervise, manage and evaluate outside counsel on employment related matters.
- Partner with the Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary on all issues related to employment.
- Communicate sophisticated concepts in a clear and structured manner. Work closely and cross-functionally to support the company’s goals and priorities.
- JD degree with strong academic credentials.
- Must have a minimum of 10+ years of substantive labor and employment experience within a corporate legal department and at a top-tier law firm.
- Previous experience with employment matters such as hiring, hourly distributed workforce management, performance management, employee relations, leaves of absence and accommodations, discrimination and harassment laws, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation/benefits and discipline and termination issues is required.
- Experience with global labor and employment issues.
- Experience with labor relations and union issues is a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide quick, concise, and practical legal advice.
- Excellent judgment and a proven ability to establish strong cross-functional partnerships with executive teams.
- Ability to “roll up your sleeves” and ensure effective operations.
Compensation: The estimated annual base salary for this position is $250,000 – $275,000, but could be higher depending on the level of candidate. This position will be eligible for the company's bonus program and equity program.