Our client, Zoom, is looking for an Associate General Counsel, Privacy Compliance. Zoom’s mission is to develop a people-centric cloud service that unifies your meeting experience and improves the quality and effectiveness of communications forever. The company is the world leader in video communications. Hundreds of thousands of businesses turn to Zoom for video and web collaboration.
Reporting directly to the Chief Compliance Officer, the Associate General Counsel, Privacy Compliance will be responsible for leading and evolving Zoom’s global privacy program by focusing on assessing risks, designing and updating controls, and monitoring and evidencing compliance. This person will ensure ongoing compliance with global privacy and data security frameworks as well as monitor changes in privacy regulations and set compliance requirements for Zoom products and programs. This leader will partner closely with Product Development, Marketing, Security, Compliance, Data Science and related teams to understand data usage and security, and provide both strategic and practical guidance on developments impacting data and privacy.
- Work in partnership with the AGC, Privacy (product) to scale the Privacy Program.
- Oversee responsibilities for data governance and collaborate with government regulators.
- Understand how to adapt to regulatory changes through the implementations of internal controls to enable the company to meet regulatory obligations.
- Primary lead on training and documenting the Privacy Program and Privacy Review Statement.
- Regularly meet with internal teams (e.g. product) to understand strategies, roadmap, and initiatives, and advises on new features, activities, etc. to ensure privacy compliance.
- Provide early advice on innovations to speed development.
- Proactive monitor and analyze global legislation and initiatives with the focus on domestic and international regulations.
- Work with team to conduct Privacy Impact assessments related to product and associated technologies and vendors.
- Manage data flow mapping and ensures appropriate documentation is in place for data transfers.
- Partner closely with AGC, Privacy to select, retain, and collaborate with third party experts.
- Work cross functionally with security and other teams to ensure data privacy and security compliance.
- Assess risk associated with business activities and determines solutions.
- Responds timely to inquiries from colleagues to provide sound, succinct and actionable advice.
- 10+ years of direct experience as product privacy counsel; preferably with in-house and law firm experience in the tech space.
- Qualified to practice law in California or state of residence.
- Previous experience working with government enforcement, FTC or other government agencies in privacy and/or security.
- Experience testing, monitoring and assessing privacy programs.
- Expertise in global privacy and regulatory frameworks, including GDPR, CASL, HIPAA as it pertains to Business Associates, FERPA, FedRAMP, etc.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively across cross-functional teams and build consensus among stakeholders.
- Passion to work in collaborative team environment with an attitude to deliver happiness.
- Extremely organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multi-task, adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- Sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility and ability to work independently.
- Experience supporting product teams across multiple areas of subject matter expertise a plus.
- Ability to quickly issue spot and appropriately prioritize risk and outcomes a must.
- Growth mindset: every new challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow.
Zoom has exclusively engaged Kerwin Associates to conduct their search for a Senior Privacy Product Counsel. Any resumes sent directly to Zoom will be forwarded to Kerwin Associates. If you are interested in speaking about or applying for this role, please contact Anne Kerwin Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org).